When it comes to railings for a deck, wood is the material most often chosen because of the variety of species available, finishing options, and relative ease with which they can be installed and maintained.
Vinyl and aluminum railings are ideal for consumers on a budget, but for a truly standout deck with ornate details that will last for generations, nothing matches the versatility, design options, and long term value of iron railings installed by the professionals at ME Contracting.
In most cases, wrought iron or iron railings are actually made from steel, but because steel is so malleable, today’s manufacturing techniques make it possible to recreate the intricate details and design features typically found in many older buildings. This makes it an ideal material for home or business owners who want to make their decks a thing of beauty. At ME Contracting, we’ve installed hundreds of decks with iron railings over the last 10 years, and along the way we’ve educated consumers about their many benefits.
If you decide to install iron railings, there are many questions we recommend you ask of the contractor in charge of the project.
- How long will iron railings last? Unlike wood railings, which can split, crack, or fade from exposure to the elements or accidental damage and need to be refinished every few years, iron railings will last for decades with minimal maintenance needs.
- How many decks or iron railings have you installed? While iron railings are incredibly durable, they’re also difficult to work with compared to wood, vinyl, or aluminum counterparts. For instance, if a railing made from any of the three is too long, it can be easily trimmed onsite. As for iron railings, not so much. For this very reason, it’s important to work with an experienced contractor, someone familiar not only with installation, but also manufacturing and ongoing maintenance.
- I’d like to tear down my old wood deck and replace it with a new one, but I want to salvage the iron railings and use them again – is that possible? Absolutely. At ME Contracting, we’re big supporters of recycling and reusing wherever possible, whether that means re-purposing landscaping stones for a fire pit, or harvesting old iron railings for a new project. Our expert designers can work with customers on a deck design that reuses iron railings, no matter the scope of the project or architecture or landscaping involved.
- If I go with iron railings, is there anything special I need to do for maintenance? Not really. Unlike other building materials used for railings, iron railings retain their appearance for several years. Occasionally, customers will discover the finish is cracked or peeling, in which case the railing can be sanded down and a fresh coat of paint applied.
- Are iron railings expensive? This type of building material may be more expensive at first, but their durability and low maintenance requirements will more than make up for any cost advantage that wood has, for instance.
If you have questions about the many benefits of iron railings, call us today for a free consultation.
M.E Contracting have been installing various railings throughout the greater Toronto area for over 10 years. Our railings installers have experience knowledge and great skills. Call us today for a free on-site consultation